Speedtouch ADSL and Fedora 7 issue

Scott van Looy scott at ethosuk.org.uk
Tue Sep 11 06:43:03 UTC 2007

I have an old PIII that sits under my bed doing an impressive impression
of a firewall and router using FC6 and netfilter, I figured, as I've just
bought a new laptop, I could use the old one as a slightly more powerful
version of the above, complete with inbuilt ups...

...so, I copied all the scripts I use (/etc/ppp;/*, the firmware, all the
bits and bobs for the firewall) and installed a fresh copy of F7 on it,
restored all the bits I'd copied and then plugged it in.

It worked as expected, dialled the connection, got an IP address and
connected, I was able to use the net connection for about 15 seconds and
then it disconnected, claiming no response to LCP echos

Then it refused to reconnect, claiming "LCP: timeout sending
Config-Requests"

I had to remove and reinsert the USB module to completely restart the
subsystem to get it to connect again, and I got exactly the same result
over and over.

lcp-echo-interval  2
lcp-echo-failure   7

I tried setting the echo-failure to 20, just to see if it'd hold the
connection for the duration, it managed around 30 seconds, then 30 seconds
of being unable to reach anything and then timeout and disconnect

Does anyone know if there's an issue with Fedora 7 and the speedtouch
stuff?

I booted up the old box, plugged it all back in and it went back to
working fine...

--
Scott van Looy - email:me at ethosuk.org.uk | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
site:www.freakcity.net - the in place for outcasts since 2003