Issues w/ sieveshell

Well, I'm trying to use sieveshell again to update my message filters, I'm running:

cyrus-imapd-2.3.9-6.fc6
cyrus-imapd-perl-2.3.9-6.fc6
cyrus-imapd-utils-2.3.9-6.fc6
cyrus-sasl-2.1.21-10
cyrus-sasl-2.1.22-4
cyrus-sasl-lib-2.1.22-4
cyrus-sasl-plain-2.1.22-4

and indeed lsof/netstat both tell me that I've got sieve listening...

But when I run sieveshell, it craps out with a less-than-helpful (or accurate!) message:

$ sieveshell localhost
connecting to localhost
unable to connect to server at /usr/bin/sieveshell line 169.
$

Running strace on this script reveals that it is indeed connecting, and getting the normal banner, etc:

read(4, "\"IMPLEMENTATION\" \"Cyrus timsieve"..., 4096) = 204
write(2, "unable to connect to server at /"..., 61) = 61
unable to connect to server at /usr/bin/sieveshell line 169.

Any ideas?  I asked on cyrus-bugs, but the silence was deafening in the way of a response.

Thanks,

-Philip