ext3 filesystem performance issues

aragonx at dcsnow.com aragonx at dcsnow.com
Wed Sep 12 17:07:13 UTC 2007

I'm wondering at what point ext3 starts having issues with number of files
in a directory.

For instance, will any of the utilities fail (ls, mv, chown etc) if you
have more than x files in a directory?

At what point does things really start slowing down?

I was told by a coworker that all UNIX varieties have to do an ordered
list search when they have to preform any operations on a directory.  They
also stated that if there is more than 100k files in a directory, these
tools would fail.

This seems like a low number to me but I was looking for some expert
analysis.  :)

Thanks
Will

believed to be clean.