Re: hard disk problem

In my BIOS,I have only 2 options for hard disks..enable SATA as RAID or enable SATA as IDE.By default it has selected "enable SATA as IDE".But UDMA is set to UDMA5 by default and not UDMA6.I have to manually set it to UDMA6 but still hdparm shows it as UDMA5.Do I need a reinstall of F7 with UDMA6 set????

On 9/13/07, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel infinity-ltd com > wrote:
Rohan Kulkarni wrote:
> Hello,
>          I have a Seagate SATA hard disk 160GB.My motherboard supports
> till UDMA6.I have enabled UDMA 6 but hdparm -i /dev/sda command shows
> that the hard disk is running in UDMA 5 mode.This is what it shows.

Hdparm is not as good as it could be on reporting/setting SATA
drives. It primarily a tool for PATA drives, with some use with SCSI
and SATA drives. There is a sdparm program, but it is not that easy
a program to use. That being said, in most cases you will find that
the BIOS has already set the transfer mode to the fastest supported.
You should be careful about changing the setting with SATA drives
unless you are sure you know what you are doing. (You should also be
careful about what you change on PATA drives.)

Mikkel