Gnome-panel grief in F7

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Thu Sep 13 14:44:48 UTC 2007

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:05:37 -0400, William Case wrote:

> Have the same problem as Beartooth.

> My problem only shows up in a second user's desktop.  My desktop is ok.
> Can't figure out what to turn on or off? or how?

	Ver-ry inter-ress-ttingg -- with me it always shows up on my own
user's desktop. (If I install any other users at all, I normally set
their login shell to /sbin/nologin; if any should actually want to use a
machine, I'd become root and change that temporarily.) It has never yet
affected root's desktop. Nor has it affected, for instance, the one for
my wife, when I enable her login.

	What's more, I've thought of an experiment. On the currently
problematic machine, I've created a user named Beartooth-Ersatz : a
substitute with my initials as userid. I'm in process, as root, of
copying all my regular files to that user, and chown -ing them to him.

	Any suggestions of things to not chown, or to remove, before
trying a logout/login or a reboot?

	Very odd minor detail, btw : the substitute has a problem I've
seen on my wife's machine, but never any of my own (and never found a GUI
remedy for). There is no shutdown launcher. Not even one I can't add to a
panel, or can't use if I do, as with the switcher -- none. I'll have to
shutdown or reboot as that user from the command line.