WSJ: Mossberg takes the Linux bait and snarls ....

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Thu Sep 13 17:06:51 UTC 2007

On Thursday 13 September 2007, Max Pyziur wrote:
> Mossberg Looks at Ubuntu Linux on a Dell (Verdict: Not Quite Ready for
> Primetime)

I agree 100% with one of his beefs.  Laptop touchpad sensitivity.  When I'm
typing (and as I touch-type around 50 wpm, the keyboard is really a humming)
often the cursor will jump to where the i-beam for the mouse is; ooops, left
click.  But I didn't touch the touchpad.  Aggravating as all get out.  (And
if someone knows a way to turn that down, please let me know, as I've not run
across the setting yet).

I agree 100% that Linux is perfect for the techies, but not yet for the
mainstream non-techie user, unless someone who is a techie is readily
available.  Yep, I've run Linux for over ten years (and Unix SVR2 and 3 prior
to that on assorted workstations), but I am (job title notwithstanding) a
techie.

HOWEVER, this same thing is true of Windows; it is not ready for the
mainstream, either, even though it's in the mainstream.
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer