WSJ: Mossberg takes the Linux bait and snarls ....

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Thu Sep 13 17:42:16 UTC 2007

>> I agree 100% with one of his beefs.  Laptop touchpad sensitivity.  When I'm

> Name        : gsynaptics                   Relocations: (not relocatable)

There's a ksynaptics as well for kde.  But, you have to meddle in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf to get it to work. Add the following to the Section
"InputDevice" that has Driver "synaptics" and restart X:

        Option      "SHMConfig" "on"

I'd agree with Mr Mossberg as well, it ain't quite ready for the
primetime of grannies and so on (unless someone is admin-ing it for
them, in which case it was "ready" a couple of years ago).

But of course on Windows I seem to recall having to sneak miserably
around in the Registry to get things work, entering Hardware Driver Hell
because I plugged a USB device in before I found the driver CD, crashy
video drivers, etc.  I think a lot of the jolt at having to meddle with
stuff is just because the stuff to meddle with is different, not that it
is so much more complicated.

-Andy