WSJ: Mossberg takes the Linux bait and snarls ....

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Thu Sep 13 18:57:42 UTC 2007

>>> Name        : gsynaptics                   Relocations: (not relocatable)
>> There's a ksynaptics as well for kde.  But, you have to meddle in
>> /etc/X11/xorg.conf to get it to work. Add the following to the Section
>> "InputDevice" that has Driver "synaptics" and restart X:
>>
>>         Option      "SHMConfig" "on"
>>

> I have a Dell 1420N (came with Ubuntu), and this didn't work for me
> when I tried it before.  Will give it another go later, because this
> touchpad is the worst offender I've seen for sensitivity.

Might be worth reviewing your dmesg, there are other kinds of touchpad
than synaptics (ALPS for one).  I get something like this:

Synaptics Touchpad, model: 1, fw: 6.2, id: 0x2580b1, caps: 0xa04793/0x300000
Synaptics pass-through port at isa0060/serio4/input0
input: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad as /class/input/input1

There is some bad or outdated advice out there in Google about the
"SHMConfig" line though, wrong capitalization or something else wrong
with the first advice I found when I tried to get it working.  That one
is pasted from my working config.

-Andy