Does anyone have maxima working on Fedora Core 6?

Andras Simon szajmi at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 23:15:34 UTC 2007

On 9/14/07, Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have a fully updated Fedora Core 6 machine with all the updates.  Maxima
> is not working.
>
> [olivares at localhost ~]$ rpm -qa maxima*
> maxima-5.13.0-4.fc6
> maxima-gui-5.13.0-4.fc6
> maxima-runtime-gcl-5.13.0-4.fc6
> [olivares at localhost ~]$
>
> [olivares at localhost ~]$ uname -a
> Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.22.4-45.fc6 #1 SMP Tue Aug 21 18:29:10 EDT
> 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> [olivares at localhost ~]$
>

> I know that Fedora Core 6 is approaching the time of its slow death, but it
> was working previously.  Is anyone also having this trouble?
>
> I fire up xmaxima and the startup hangs.  It asks Starting Maxima timed out.
>  Wait longer?
>
> If I click on any link below like integrate():  it returns
>
> Failed to eval region
> Failed to eval region
>     while executing
> "error [mc "Failed to eval region"]"
>     (procedure "doInvoke" line 50)
>     invoked from within
> "doInvoke .browser.t1.text @123,437 "
>     (command bound to event)

I know that this is not much help, but: Does the command line version
work? (I never used maxima, so I may be wrong about this, but I
suspect that the maxima package provides a CLI.) In either case, you
should file a bug report against either the maxima-5.13.0-4.fc6 or the
maxima-gui-5.13.0-4.fc6 package, as appropriate. FC6 is still
supported.

Andras