Vim compressed help doc files

Haven't seen anything about this posted on the list.

I recently upgraded to Fedora 7 and I've discovered that
Vim's built-in help files don't display.  This applies to
both the X and command line invocations.

If I enter, for example,
  :help backup

I get:
Error detected while processing BufRead Auto commands for "*.gz":
E21: Cannot make changes, 'modifiable' is off
E434: Can't find tag pattern

All the Vim rpm's are fc7 versions, 7.1.12-1.fc7.  The gzip.vim
plugin file looks okay.

Does anyone know how I can fix Vim's built-in help doc display?

Thanks,
Doug Wyatt