WSJ: Mossberg takes the Linux bait and snarls ....

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Sep 14 17:10:09 UTC 2007

On Friday 14 September 2007, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Strangely, I don't have to be near as carefull on those rare occasions when
> I have it running XP.

Same here.

> I've asked politely, and I've asked obnoxiously, the same question:

> When is the touchpad going to be fixed?

Indeed.

> I'm a mostly retired broadcast engineer, the type that makes the high
> powered transmitters you watch tv from work.  I deal routinely with high
> voltage power supplies capable of sucking a megawatt+ from the powerline
> under fault conditions.

I have 17 years of experience as a broadcast engineer;  fun stuff.  The most
shocked I have been at a manufacturer was when I saw the control system for
Thales' DTV transmitter was Windows NT 4.0.

(The most _shocked_ I have been was at the cassette deck that ran by itself
without being plugged in, five feet away from a 10KW AM tower).  That and the
miscellaneous RF burns from disconnected wires lying in the near field... and
the audio coming from the chain link fence in the near field... Computers are
downright tame compared to RF engineering.
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer