usb modem MultiTech MT5634ZBA-USB

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sat Sep 15 16:44:15 UTC 2007

taharka wrote:
> How do,
>
> On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 21:56 -0500, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
>
>> Everyone,
>>
>> I am trying to intall a couple Multtech Modems on a F6 system and am
>> having difficulty finding a starting place.  I would like to try my hand
>> with some faxing software, but have not been able to get to the modems.
>>
>> When I run lsusb I get the following:
>>

>> Bus 002 Device 003: ID 06e0:f107 Multi-Tech Systems, Inc.
>> MT5634ZBA-USB-V92 MultiModemUSB
>> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>> Bus 002 Device 002: ID 058f:9360 Alcor Micro Corp.
>> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>> Bus 001 Device 003: ID 06e0:f107 Multi-Tech Systems, Inc.
>> MT5634ZBA-USB-V92 MultiModemUSB
>>
>> When I do a ls /dev/usb* I get the following:
>>
>> crw------- 1 root root 253,  0 Sep 14 19:22 usbdev1.1_ep00
>> crw------- 1 root root 253,  1 Sep 14 19:22 usbdev1.1_ep81
>> crw------- 1 root root 253,  6 Sep 14 19:22 usbdev1.3_ep00
>> crw------- 1 root root 253,  8 Sep 14 19:22 usbdev1.3_ep02
>> crw------- 1 root root 253,  7 Sep 14 19:22 usbdev1.3_ep84
>> crw------- 1 root root 253,  9 Sep 14 19:22 usbdev1.3_ep86
>> crw------- 1 root root 253,  2 Sep 14 19:22 usbdev2.1_ep00
>> crw------- 1 root root 253,  3 Sep 14 19:22 usbdev2.1_ep81
>> crw------- 1 root root 253, 10 Sep 14 19:22 usbdev2.2_ep00
>> crw------- 1 root root 253, 11 Sep 14 19:22 usbdev2.2_ep01
>> crw------- 1 root root 253, 12 Sep 14 19:22 usbdev2.2_ep82
>> crw------- 1 root root 253, 13 Sep 14 19:50 usbdev2.3_ep00
>> crw------- 1 root root 253, 15 Sep 14 19:50 usbdev2.3_ep02
>> crw------- 1 root root 253, 14 Sep 14 19:50 usbdev2.3_ep84
>> crw------- 1 root root 253, 16 Sep 14 19:50 usbdev2.3_ep86
>> crw------- 1 root root 253,  4 Sep 14 19:22 usbdev3.1_ep00
>> crw------- 1 root root 253,  5 Sep 14 19:22 usbdev3.1_ep81
>>

>> Can any of you point me to a tutorial as to how to connect these modems
>> and access them on Linux.  I have a SCO box which uses
>> regular /dev/tty1a devices, but I have not had any experience with usb
>> ports.  I do not know how to connect the information supplied by lsusb
>> with the /dev/usbdev*
>>

> Does the following document help?
>
>  How do I install an MT5634ZBA-USB in Linux?
>
> This document is designed to help install the MT5634ZBA-USB in Linux.
> You must have the most recent kernel, 2.4.2 or higher. You will also
> need specific modules for installation, they are explained below. The
> MT5634ZBA-USB has been tested successfully in Mandrake 8.1 and RedHat
> 7.2. Please read the whole document, as some steps depend on how the
> Linux system was built. You need to select the USB Modem (CDC ACM)
> support kernel option. If you build as modules, you need to install the
> acm.o option. You need to set up the device node entries for the various
> modems. You can use up to 32 modems with this driver. Use the following
> commands to set up the first four:
>
>     mknod /dev/usb/ttyACM0 c 166 0
>     mknod /dev/usb/ttyACM1 c 166 1
> [...]
I went to the web page http://store.modemexpress.com/multitech3.html and
could not find the exact modem listed there. But they are ALL 56kb
telephone modems. I gather you have no option to using a telephone system.

All things USB that I own are made for Windows XP but work fine on F7 now.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User