Serious question on thumb drives (was Re: Maybe a deal on flash drives)

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 15 21:49:44 UTC 2007

<snip>

> > So my question is, why would I spend a boatload more money on a supposed
> > name-brand US made USB drive when I can buy them out of China for a
> > fraction of the cost?
> >
> > Thomas
> >

> I guess your thumb = Flash Drive are the same.  You can't tell the
> capacity of a devise by it's size. My 256KB unit is bigger than the 2 GB
> unit. All pictures I see of todays 4 GB units show them the same as the
> 2 GB.
>
> A flash drive has some standard chips in it that are what you can buy
> from the big memory factories. They are similar to what you have on your
> computer's RAM stick. I bought a 2 GB tiny memory stick that is in my
> Cell-Phone now and it cost $28.00 in Wal Mart a year ago.
>
> RAM  has got cheap this Fall and that was why I bought 2 GB for this
> computer.  I would buy the unit made in China if it is much cheaper.
> They must have about the same thing inside that the US units have. And I
> think some US models are made in China :-)

Similar is not the same. What is in a Ram memory chip is not what is in
a flash drive for two reasons:
1. RAM chips are dynaminc memory. So when the power is off they loose
their contents.
2. No one would buy RAM memory that could only be written to 500,000
times.
The face of war has never changed. Surely it is more logical to heal
than to kill. -- Surak of Vulcan, "The Savage Curtain", stardate 5906.5
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net