Desktop Effect/Compiz

I am noticing some strange behavior when desktop effects is enabled. When I open new programs/windows in the maximized state, the right edge of the window goes beyond the edge of the desktop and onto the next desktop. Anyone else have this problem?

Also, I had tried desktop effects before but something must have changed with the default behavior during an update. Now when I change desktops I don't get the fast revolving cube switch but it changes instantly. The only problem I have is it seems to minimize open windows on the desktop you switch FROM. I like having the small icons on the workspace switcher, but now I can't tell what windows are on what desktop!

Thanks,
Richard