Running a dovecot IMAPS server

As far as I can see, KMail's maildir format
(with folders ~/Mail/inbox/cur , etc)
is incompatible with Dovecot's IMAP format
(with folders ~/Mail/.inbox/cur).

I mean that if one runs an IMAP server
then the directories must be in Dovecot's format,
in which case they cannot be accessed by kmail running on the server
with a standard Local Account.

If that is indeed the case,
it seems surprising that kmail documentation
seems to contain no warning of this.

On the other hand, if I am wrong, I would be very grateful
if someone could explain how to combine kmail + dovecot IMAP.