Bug in gthumb or a bug in mailcap? Or a bug in alpine?

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Sun Sep 16 18:18:44 UTC 2007

On a Fedora 7 box, I happen to be using alpine to read mail. A message has
a jpg attachment but when I try to view it, gthumb comes up with no image.
The attachment is of type Image/JPEG.

Upon investigating I see that the tmp file that got created by alpine was
something called

/tmp/img-JPE431100

with no file extension.

gthumb will not display an image if the file has no extension. If I save
the file with a .jpg extension then it displays nicely. Yes, there's a
workaround, but you'll admit it's a pain and there's no chance of being
able to teach my wife how to do this.

So who owns the bug? gthumb? alpine? mailcap? fedora?

Is there a different viewer in fedora I can use that won't have this
problem?

steveo at syslang.net