Re: Bug in gthumb or a bug in mailcap? Or a bug in alpine?

Steven W. Orr wrote:
On a Fedora 7 box, I happen to be using alpine to read mail. A message has a jpg attachment but when I try to view it, gthumb comes up with no image. The attachment is of type Image/JPEG.

Upon investigating I see that the tmp file that got created by alpine was something called

/tmp/img-JPE431100

with no file extension.

gthumb will not display an image if the file has no extension. If I save the file with a .jpg extension then it displays nicely. Yes, there's a workaround, but you'll admit it's a pain and there's no chance of being able to teach my wife how to do this.

So who owns the bug? gthumb? alpine? mailcap? fedora?

Is there a different viewer in fedora I can use that won't have this problem?

I can't tell you why you got a email with an attached file with no .jpg or other proper indication but for sure your wife and you need a better email client that doesn't maul the attached files or, a new friend that sends you proper files.

The gthumb is a wonderful software that reads the file name to learn how to handle the file. If the file name doesn't include a proper .xyz gthomb just never is even called.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User