Bug in gthumb or a bug in mailcap? Or a bug in alpine?

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Sep 16 19:30:08 UTC 2007

Steven W. Orr wrote:
> On a Fedora 7 box, I happen to be using alpine to read mail. A message
> has a jpg attachment but when I try to view it, gthumb comes up with
> no image. The attachment is of type Image/JPEG.
>
> Upon investigating I see that the tmp file that got created by alpine
> was something called
>
> /tmp/img-JPE431100
>
> with no file extension.
>
> gthumb will not display an image if the file has no extension. If I
> save the file with a .jpg extension then it displays nicely. Yes,
> there's a workaround, but you'll admit it's a pain and there's no
> chance of being able to teach my wife how to do this.
>
> So who owns the bug? gthumb? alpine? mailcap? fedora?
>
> Is there a different viewer in fedora I can use that won't have this
> problem?

    I can't tell you why you got a email with an attached file with no
.jpg or other proper indication but for sure your wife and you need a
better email client that doesn't maul the attached files or, a new
friend that sends you proper files.

    The gthumb is a wonderful software that reads the file name to learn
how to handle the file. If the file name doesn't include a proper .xyz
gthomb just never is even called.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User