Re: Setting up a file server for a diskless X-Terminal

Derek Tattersall wrote:
Craig White wrote:
On Sun, 2007-09-16 at 17:16 -0400, Derek Tattersall wrote:
I have a large desktop running F7 , the 64 bit version. I also have a few bits and pieces of 32 bit hardware lying around, that I could make into a diskless X-terminal. I have been reading up on tftp and pxeboot and the kernel docs, and I think I can figure out how to set up the client machine as a diskless X-terminal, but I am perplexed by one thing.

What is the best way to set up the root file system? I want to set up a series of subdirectories on my main machine with the root file system, /bin, /lib, /etc, etc. I would like that to be 32 bit F7. I would then export those directories by NFS for the diskless client to use. Is there a way to unpack the F7 rpms into these subdirectories? I don't want to set up an entire partition for this, and go through the entire partitioning and install procedure. I just want to use a portion of the existing disk.

Is there an easy way to do this? I have a vague memory that you could do this with slackware (this was back in the mid 90's - all my memories of that time are vague), is there a way to do this with Fedora?
----
http://www.ltsp.org

Not quite what I had in mind.

I was looking for a way to install Fedora on the File server.

I'd expect much better performance with the ltsp approach (running only X on the client with the desktop and apps on the faster machine) than you would have running the 2nd machine as a workstation with everything mounted via NFS.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell gmail com