High dns traffic, how do I reduce this.

Manuel Arostegui Ramirez manuel at todo-linux.com
Mon Sep 17 09:20:24 UTC 2007

On Monday 17 September 2007 11:09:33 Peter Koinange wrote:
> Seems you may have a trojan or something if you check your traffic say
> using tcpdump you may be able to see computer(s) that are generating alot
> of unecessary trafic

Errr, a trojan? I think you're exaggerating a bit, from my point of view.
There're load of things that can cause a high dns traffic, for instance, I was
in the same situation some months ago, and the problem was a "luser" with
gkrellm in his system, he has set up a forecast map which got refreshed every
30 seconds, obviusly, this map got the information from a website, don't
remember which one, anyways, that's not important here.
The thing is it made DNS requests every 30 seconds. This is just an example,
nowdays unfortunately, there're loads of tools which connect to the internet
without the user knowledge, doesn't matter what for, looking for updates,
sending private info, whatever...

But saying that he might have a trojan is quite disproportionate, don't you
think so?

All the best.
Manuel
--