Running a dovecot IMAPS server

Mark Knoop mark at opus11.net
Mon Sep 17 13:28:04 UTC 2007

Andy Green wrote:
> I was learning how to use procmail the other day with Dovecot, which I
> wrote up here
>
> http://warmcat.com/_wp/?p=37#more-37
>
> What I found was that sticking the mail files into <Dovecot
> store>/.<foldername>/new caused Dovecot to understand that new mail had
> come (which it then seemed to copy into .<foldername>/<something else>
> so they weren't new any more but part of the folder).  <Dovecot Store>
> might be something like ~/Maildir for the current users' mail.

Actually, the *correct* way to use Maildir with procmail is just to have
a trailing slash on the foldername, e.g.:

# fedora-list
:0
* ^X-BeenThere.*fedora-list at redhat.com
.INBOX.lists.fedora/

The trailing slash tells procmail that it's delivering to a Maildir and
it will put the message in 'new/'. That way you don't need to use a
lockfile.

--
Mark Knoop