FC7 problem udevd: udev_event_run: fork of child failed: cannot allocate memory spewing over and over again on the console.

Bruce Keats brucekeats at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 20:09:39 UTC 2007

Hi,

With the latest set of updates within FC7, I are now seeing this message on
several systems.

udevd[581]: udev_event_run: fork of child failed: cannot allocate memory

The message occurs at boot just after udev starts.  The message is
repeatedly constantly and there does not appear to be any way out.
Control-C doesn't do anything.  The message keeps repeating without any end.

We have seen this on different H/W platforms.  One is a dell laptop.  One is
an server with dual Xeon with 4 gig RAM.  RAM tests on all the H/W checkouts
OK.  All H/W was running FC7 OK before.  All systems are running the latest
kernel with all the lastest updates.

This seems to have started in the last couple of days or so.  I can't seem
to find any way around it.

Is anyone else encountering the same problem?  Any ideas how to track down
the cause?  Any ideas on how to fix it or get around it to the systems up?

Thanks,
Bruce