Running a dovecot IMAPS server

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Tue Sep 18 21:54:55 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 18 September 2007 19:30:15 Martin Marques wrote:

> > I mean that if one runs an IMAP server
> > then the directories must be in Dovecot's format,
> > in which case they cannot be accessed by kmail running on the server
> > with a standard Local Account.
>
> Yes kmail does that, and worst.
>
> > If that is indeed the case,
> > it seems surprising that kmail documentation
> > seems to contain no warning of this.
> >
> > On the other hand, if I am wrong, I would be very grateful
> > if someone could explain how to combine kmail + dovecot IMAP.
>
> Use kmail with an imap account to localhost.

Yes, thank you.
I have found that the solution (in my case at least)
is to only use Folders created by IMAP clients,
and to simply mv email from eg the kmail subdirectory ~/Maildir/Italy/
to eg ~/Maildir/.Italy/new/ .
I found that dovecot dealt with this correctly,
registering the email and moving it to ~/Maildir/.Italy/cur/ .

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366