Revisted Eth1 problem

david walcroft d_j_w46 at bigpond.net.au
Wed Sep 19 00:03:34 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> david walcroft wrote:
>
>> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>>
>>> Could you describe the network that eth1 is connected to? Are you
>>> using this Linux box to share an Internet connection with the local
>>> network? If so, are you running a DHCP server for the local network
>>> on this Linux box? It sounds like you may need to reconfigure eth1
>>> to use a static IP address.
>>>
>>> Mikkel
>>>

>> The network is a simply a connection to a second computer from my
>> computer via ethernet Eth1 to windows
>> machine.It uses DHCP and has worked perfectly up till now,for what it's
>> worth ,my Iptables
>> has internal network as 192.168.0.0 Eth1 is 192.168.0.1.
>> Could my problem be a corrupted DHCP. How do I reconfigure Eth1.
>>

> I am still slightly confused - how are you connecting to the Windows
> machine? (hub, router, crossover cable?)
>
> I can see eth0 being set up using DHCP, but eth1? That would require
> that the Windows machine be running a DHCP server, or some other
> device running a DHCP server. (I have even seen print servers that
> have the option of running a DHCP server.) Have you removed or
> changed any device on the home network?
>
> A quick and dirty fix is to use one of the network configuring tools
> to give eth1 a static IP of 192.168.0.1 - you can run
> system-config-network, use System --> Administration --> Network,
> highlight eth1, and click on edit, or even manually edit ifcfg-eth1.
>
> As far as what has changed, it is hard to say. If you were always
> using DHCP on eth1, and you have not changed any hardware, then
> maybe a firewall change is blocking DHCP on eth1, or a change on the
> Windows machine has turned off a DHCP server running on that box.
>
> Mikkel

Mikkel
I changed the Eth1 address to 192.168.0.1
                       Subnet default to 255.255.255.255
                      default Gateway to 192.168.0.0
Would this be correct
I'm using a crossover cable.
I see that there's a DHCP upgrade in Updates,I hope this can help with
this problem.
I have changed my ethernet card on Eth1.
My Iptables have not been changed for a long time,how would I test it
for any problems.

  Thanks  david