caching nameserver

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Sep 19 03:22:30 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 01:05 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> Following the directions and making sure I have all of the packages
> noted install, I find I have no file to edit named:
> /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf
>
> I'm supposed to edit the file in the "global section", which of course I
> have none. Thanx, Ric

It uses some other default, in its absense, with the install that I
tried playing with.  If I remember correctly, it's the
named.caching-nameserver.conf file.

You can create a named.conf, for your own customisations, that any
updates will leave alone (they'll update the other files).  Since the
install looks for the named.conf file, by default, *then* looks for the
other *if* it doesn't find named.conf, but does not look for both by
default, I imported the other file into my own created named.conf.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.4-65.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.