dvd burner

I tried a couple of different dvd burners on a FC6 box; the two programs I've tried (Brasero and GnomeBaker) keep telling my there's no blank dvd in the tray (there is). When that happens, the tray kicks open, which I close. The disk is accepted and I'm able to select the files I want to burn, though once I hit burn, I get errors. With Brasero, the errors seems to be with the program. ?????

              John