WSJ: Mossberg takes the Linux bait and snarls ....

Andrew Kelly akelly at corisweb.org
Wed Sep 19 08:58:05 UTC 2007

> >> That's almost the model that I foresee actually working for whatever
> >> unix-like system implements it first.  Make the package manager just a
> >> bit smarter and add a 'publish' button somewhere so a person who had
> >> configured a nicely working system could export his installed package
> >> list and custom configuration settings, and it would result in a URL
> >> that anyone else could click to duplicate that setup slightly more
> >> closely than matching kickstart installs would.   That way someone could
> >> tweak a machine to someone like Mossberg's satisfaction, he could push a
> >> button, and the next day a million people could be running "Mossberg's
> >> recommended Linux".  Or the same for someone who actually knows how to
> >> configure a linux box...
> >
> > Outstanding idea, Les. You know if anybody is currently working on
> > anything like that?
>
> No, everyone wants to make up new distribution names, spin CD's and
> build incompatible repositories instead of cooperating and making a
> package manager smart enough to do this.

Oh, you're talking about a completely new package manager. I thought you
just meant something standalone which would/could export a config,
basically building a better mousetrap in a kickstart sense of things.

Whatever. I'm in, either way.
I've been looking for something of that magnitude as an anchor project
in a long-term thing I'm currently conceptualising.

You in, too? Or are you in more of a "peel me another grape" place right
now?