Kernel config. in FC & Suse

Francois-Yves Dupradeau fyd at u-picardie.fr
Wed Sep 19 14:10:56 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have a set of binaries for the Gaussian 1998 program. They were
compiled on an
  old cluster of Athlon XP 1400 (32 bits) with an old PGI compiler
version (5.x).
I am used to copy those binaries on various new machines (32 & 64
bits) with dif
ferent recent linux distributions (FC 6.0, FC 7.0 & Suse 10.2).

- On Suse 10.2 (32 bits version): no problem the binaries work.
- On FC 6.0 (64 bits version): no problem the binaries work.
- On FC 6.0 (32 bits version): I get the following error message:

[login at machine ~]$ g98 < test.com > test.log
Erroneous write during file extend. write 2176 instead of 4096
Probably out of disk space.
Write error in NtrExt1: No such file or directory

OBVIOUSLY THERE IS NO PROBLEM OF DISK SPACE.
This problem is known, and a solution is available @
However, we have to recompile the program. I would like to understand
why those
binaries work only on some LINUX distributions. My feeling is that
there is a ke
rnel or linux configuration problem for FC 6.0 (32 bits)...

Any idea about a kernel option that would mess up the system on FC 6.0
(32 bits)
  ?

thanks, Francois