Revisted Eth1 problem

david walcroft d_j_w46 at bigpond.net.au
Thu Sep 20 00:19:37 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 19:16 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>>
>>> As far as changes, I suspect that the Windows machine was providing
>>> the DHCP server, and an update turned it off. (Internet connection
>>> sharing, I think.)
>>>
>> I would expect the opposite, turning on internet connection sharing
>> tends to also turn the box into a DHCP server.  At least that was my
>> experience in the past.
>>

> It does, but an update can turn off Internet connection sharing. (I
> was not sure of the name.) You never know what a Windows update will
> do. I have even seen machines running 2 firewall programs because an
> update urned on the Windows firewall, even though they already had
> one running. It messed up printing to a network printer. I have even
> seen DHCP blocked by installing a new firewall.
>
> Mikkel

I now have the problem in which using "service network restart"
disconnects me from the net.

my /var/log/messages after a reboot

Sep 17 11:52:40 reddwarf NET[1838]: /sbin/dhclient-script : updated
/etc/resolv.conf
Sep 17 11:52:40 reddwarf dhclient: bound to 121.208.35.242 -- renewal in
1551 seconds.
Sep 17 11:52:40 reddwarf kernel: eth1: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex,
lpa 0x41E1
Sep 17 11:52:40 reddwarf dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to
255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
Sep 17 11:52:47 reddwarf dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to
255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 16
Sep 17 11:53:03 reddwarf dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to
255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 14
/var/log/messages

Thanks  david