LiveCD installer and home folder

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Thu Sep 20 13:46:27 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 19 September 2007, Tim wrote:
> I'd be tempted to take home out of the equation for the new install, old
> settings on a new release doesn't always work nicely (rename old home
> directories, relabel old home partitions, before the install).  If you
> let the new install create a new home, you can work this out afterwards
> (copy over old bits and pieces, as needed).

I've done this song and dance since I was beta-testing Red Hat 7 years ago.
Now, I've kept the same /home since I ran Red Hat Linux 5.2, although going
from 6.2 to one of the first 7 betas did horrible things to my KDE config,
which taught me the song and dance above.

Having a /home that has been around that long does make certain things
somewhat weird, but it has worked for me.
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer