Speedtouch ADSL and Fedora 7 issue

randy vice damocles at thenostromo.com
Thu Sep 20 14:01:55 UTC 2007

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, Scott van Looy wrote:

> I have an old PIII that sits under my bed doing an impressive impression of a
> firewall and router using FC6 and netfilter, I figured, as I've just bought a
> new laptop, I could use the old one as a slightly more powerful version of
> the above, complete with inbuilt ups...
>
> ...so, I copied all the scripts I use (/etc/ppp;/*, the firmware, all the
> bits and bobs for the firewall) and installed a fresh copy of F7 on it,
> restored all the bits I'd copied and then plugged it in.
>
> It worked as expected, dialled the connection, got an IP address and
> connected, I was able to use the net connection for about 15 seconds and then
> it disconnected, claiming no response to LCP echos
>
> Then it refused to reconnect, claiming "LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests"
>
> I had to remove and reinsert the USB module to completely restart the
> subsystem to get it to connect again, and I got exactly the same result over
> and over.
>
> lcp-echo-interval  2
> lcp-echo-failure   7
>
> I tried setting the echo-failure to 20, just to see if it'd hold the
> connection for the duration, it managed around 30 seconds, then 30 seconds of
> being unable to reach anything and then timeout and disconnect
>
> Does anyone know if there's an issue with Fedora 7 and the speedtouch stuff?
>
> I booted up the old box, plugged it all back in and it went back to working
> fine...

I have the same issue with the latest FC7 x86_64 kernel.  If I use the
stock kernel (2.6.21-1.3194.fc7) from the ISO, works perfectly.  Reboot
into the latest yum installed kernel and no joy.

Randy

--
: damocles at TheNostromo.com : Bruce Morrow, a man before and after his time :
: "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood  :