How best get rid of SELinux?

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Thu Sep 20 16:45:26 UTC 2007

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 21:44:37 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>> 	So, iiuc, you're saying to leave a space after 'quiet' both
>> times, and then add "selinux=0" after that space? Right?
>
> Correct but if you have it disabled in /etc/sysconfig/selinux, that's
> just the same.

	Aha! I knew there had to be some sort of such file somewhere.
Many thanks! I changed 'permissive' to 'disabled' on my #3 machine, and
am betting I'll never notice a difference. If so, I'll move up in time to
#2, and then to #1.

> See the SELinux FAQ in http://docs.fedoraproject.org.

	Well, that's some improvement; I had been breaking my teeth &
fingernails against the latest I had found, which was for FC5 -- knowing
it was likely out of date ...

	The GUI at System > Admin > SELinux Management reminds me of the
early CD-burning software : great for Alpha Plus Technoids, no doubt, but
hopelessly opaque to ordinary users.

	(After nearly ten years' use, I can still barely claim to be not
quite clueless. My life won't last long enough to work my way through all
the undifferentiated detail in such places, even if I did nothing else
for the rest of it.)

	The various sound and media apps have come great lengths in
recent years, by first choosing practical defaults, and then regimenting
detail according to relative importance. Here's hoping the security gurux
do equally well!