How to control LAN users?

George Yanos george at yanos.com
Thu Sep 20 18:23:12 UTC 2007

* Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> [2007-09-20 14:09:36 -0400]:

> >>Shutting down the machines would work for me, there might be some
> >>unhappiness but I could deal with that, but what I'm really
> >>looking for
> >>is a way to open the connection to the internet at my
> >>discretion.  I've
> >>already blocked a number of sites via the router but I never
> >>know what
> >>they are connecting to or what might be streaming data when the
> >>computers are idle, that's my prime concern.
> >>

> >Real VNC is easy to install on the windows boxes.  vncviewer is
> >available on all the FC installs.  If vncviewer is not in /usr/bin,
> >yum install vnc
> >should do the trick.
> >
> >The windows versions of vnc can be downloaded from:
> >http://www.realvnc.com/
> >It installs and you put it in service mode.  You have that
> >option on the install.  You can take the default options and
> >set a password.
> >
> >On you linux box, you can run:
> >vncviewer otherbox:0
> >
> >(the :0 is optional if you took the defaults)
> >You will get prompted for the password, and then the remote
> >desktop will appear.  I use this across ssh tunnels to help
> >out some windows friends when they get stuck.  It is easier than
> >talking them through a problem blind.
> >
> >Under the covers, vncserver (on the windows box) listens on
> >port 5900 (if you use the default display number of 0)  vncviewer
> >connects on that port.  Note if you use display 1, then the port
> >is 5901.
> >
> >There is a web interface at 5800, although I don't usually use that.
> >
> >This may do what you want.  It also allows you to do remote maintenance
> >on the target machine.
> >
> >Bob Styma
> >Phoenix, AZ
> >

> I obtained copies of VNC, put it on a CD and installed in the twin's XP
> computer, took some guesses at the configuration and it appears to
> work.   I obtained the dhcp assigned address from the router data screen
> in Firefox.  Vncviewer recognizes that address and the password I
> assigned, brings up an XP screen, and it looks like I can control the
> remote computer.
>
> As I said I am pretty much Windows illiterate.  It appears that I can
> turn the computer off from here, that's a step in the right direction.
> But it would be better if I could break the internet connection as I can
> with system-control-network or service network stop.  I don't know the
> Windows equivalent?
>
> I would also like to be able to see activity on its eth0 to the Ethernet
> bridge and the internet although that's not essential.  Most helpful
> would be how to deactivate the connection to eth0.
>
> If that can't be done then I will simply shut down the computer when it
> is left running and idle during the day.  That will be an improvement
> though not ideal.
>
> Bob Goodwin
>
> --

Why not get a small router and give them ip numbers pointing at your
small router as a gateway.  Turn off the gateway and they loose connectivity.

* George Yanos     *                                                *
* UTC at UIC       *                                                *
* 312-413-0059(w)  *                                                *
* 708-848-4221(h)  *                                                *
* gyanos at uic.edu   *                                                *