How to force NetworkManager to ignore a specific interface ( such as wireless ) ... and interface name change ?

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Sep 20 22:48:42 UTC 2007

Jesus Jr M Salvo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 1) I have decided to turn off wireless for awhile ( troubleshooting on
> the new kernel, as the new kernel seems to hang, etc.. ):
>
> # cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
> # Broadcom Corporation BCM4310 UART
> DEVICE=eth1
> ONBOOT=no
> < ... snip ...>
>
> Also decided to delete the wireles firmware files for my device (
> bcm43xx ) from /lib/firmware.
>
> So I restarted, I then realised that NetworkManager does not really
> rely on the contents ifcfg-eth1 file (?? correct me if I am wrong ) as
> is still insists on loading the interface. Thi is what dmesg says
> repeatedly:
>
> b43-phy0 debug: Adding Interface type 2
> b43-phy0 ERROR: Microcode "bcm43xx_microcode5.fw" not available or load failed.
> b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to
> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and
> download the correct firmware (version 4)
> b43-phy0 debug: Adding Interface type 2
> b43-phy0 ERROR: Microcode "bcm43xx_microcode5.fw" not available or load failed.
> b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to
> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and
> download the correct firmware (version 4)
>
> .... because I removed the firmware files from /lib/firmware.
>
> Is there anyway to force NetworkManager to ignore the interface ? Note
> that I have even turned OFF the wireless device on the notebook. My HP
> / compaq presario V6017AU ha this switch on front to turn wireless on
> and off. Still, NetworkManager insists on using the interface by
>
> 2) Furthermore, my wireless interface was previously called wlan0. For
> some reason, it is now called eth1. What can force the interface name
> change ? ... and how to change it back to wlan0 ?
>
> Regards,
>
> John

    John you have confused Network Manager so it is not doing anything
now, so turn it off. Go back to the old network where you can with ease
delete the wifi source.  I get the NM list and there the big problems
are when you turn off something. It goes bonkers :-)

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User