How best get rid of SELinux?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Sep 21 03:52:40 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-20 at 23:30 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 20 September 2007, Beartooth wrote:
> >	I keep it set to -- supposedly -- NON-enforcing, because of the
> >warning in the installer against eliminating it; but it keeps making all
> >kinds of trouble, anyway. Can I just command "yum remove selinux"?
> >
> No, but it can be disabled by only one method I know of, the kernels command
> line in grub.conf.
>
> Append to it: selinux=0
> and reboot.
----
No - not good form. Don't use kernel parameters where configuration
files in /etc tree accomplish the task much more elegantly and you can
use GUI tools.

# head -n 6 /etc/selinux/config
# This file controls the state of SELinux on the system.
# SELINUX= can take one of these three values:
#       enforcing - SELinux security policy is enforced.
#       permissive - SELinux prints warnings instead of enforcing.
#       disabled - SELinux is fully disabled.
SELINUX=permissive

edit per instructions (changed to disabled) or use
system-config-security and change it to disabled there (the result is
exactly the same)

Craig