bcm43xx and kernel-2.6.22.5-76.fc7

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 19:06:39 UTC 2007

Martin Marques wrote:
> Konstantin Svist wrote:
>> Tom Weniger wrote:
>>>
>>> I have the same BCM chipset which works fine with the latest kernel
>>> (-76). Have you tried to reconfigure wlan0? What does ifconfig output?
>>>

>> There is no wlan0; ifconfig -a does not list the wifi adapter
>> /var/log/messages only says "bcm43xx driver" when the module is
>> inserted - and there are no further messages
>
> Add "alias wlan0 bcm43xx" to /etc/modprobe.conf. Remove and insert
> again the driver with modprobe. Then check with ifconfig.

Booting into previous kernel (2.6.22.4-65):
a) using b43-fwcutter/b43 module combo: /var/log/messages complains
about firmware being wrong (and tells me to go download the exact same
file that I just used)
b) using bcm43xx-fwcutter/bcm43xx module: wlan does not show up
c) using bcm43xx-fwcutter/b43 module: wlan0 shows up and is usable!

None of the combinations work in the latest kernel (2.6.22.5-76) - in
all cases wlan0 does not show up, even setting the alias as you mentioned

Is there any way to diagnose the problem? Nothing shows up in
/var/log/messages at all when I'm using b43 (a lot of messages show up
when doing same in previous kernel)

Thanks