VNC problems

John Aldrich john at chattanooga.net
Fri Sep 21 19:14:07 UTC 2007

I have asked on the VNC list and gotten deafening silence. I'm trying
to use PuTTY on the Windows side of things to create an SSH tunnel for
VNC. I've gotten PuTTY (and another SSH client) to connect to the
linux box, but I can't seem to get VNC to connect.

One of the SSH clients I'm using has given me a cryptic error message:
"Server rejected our attempt to open a client-side client-2-server
connection - reason: SSH_OPEN_ADMINISTRATIVELY_PROHIBITED,

This would seem to indicate that SSH is blocking the VNC service that
I am attempting to connect to. I know that VNC is running because I
can telnet to localhost port 5901 on the linux box and I get the VNC
prompt, but when I try from the windows side, I don't get anything,
which would appear to indicate that the tunnel isn't working
correctly, but I followed the instructions I've used previously which
worked fine.

I don't know if it's something I've added since I last used PuTTY to
tunnel my VNC session or what.

Any ideas???