How best get rid of SELinux?

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 21 19:28:34 UTC 2007

Stephen Smalley wrote:

> Just to clarify (trying to avoid the flame fest here):  SELINUX=disabled
> in /etc/selinux/config on any modern Fedora system should truly disable
> SELinux in the kernel, by having /sbin/init write a "1" to

What you just wrote is not possible. At the very least, the code
which checks the state of the enable flag must be present
and active in memory.

[snip]

> Permissive mode is different - SELinux stays active on the code paths
> and while permission checks are always granted, there are other possible
> failure paths.  However, if you (here you == any user) find that
> something is broken in permissive mode, please file a bug report so that
> it can be examined to see whether it can be resolved.

What you write here is just as applicable to "disabled" state
as it is to "permissive" state, just presumably less code
gets executed, unless SELinux itself gets exploited.

[snip]

> The agenda is the already stated one, to bring flexible mandatory access
> control to the mainstream in order to counter the threat posed by
> malicious and flawed programs.  Nothing more, nothing less.

It would be nicer if the mandatory access control were an
optional feature for those who don't want it.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.