How to control LAN users?

Styma, Robert E (Robert) stymar at alcatel-lucent.com
Fri Sep 21 21:36:37 UTC 2007

 > But it would be better if I could break the internet
> connection as I can
> with system-control-network or service network stop.  I don't
> know the
> Windows equivalent?
>
> I would also like to be able to see activity on its eth0 to
> the Ethernet
> bridge and the internet although that's not essential.  Most helpful
> would be how to deactivate the connection to eth0.
>
> If that can't be done then I will simply shut down the
> computer when it
> is left running and idle during the day.  That will be an improvement
> though not ideal.

Unless you prohibit their access to the internet at the point it
leaves your home network, once you break it you will not be able
to turn it back on.  Diabling their eth0 connection is not that
hard, but will they know how to turn it back on?

Shutting down the computer has the advantages that it saves
power, saves wear and tear on the computer, and it easly
returned to a running state.  It is reasonable to assume they
know how to turn the computer on.

As far as montoring activity on eth0 on the windows machine goes:
Ethereal/Wireshark is available for windows.  The interface looks
pretty much the same as on windows as on Linux.  This would require
you to be on that machine.

If you do not wish to be on that machine, here is what I did.  I
ran across and old 10 base T hub.  A real hub, not the things
they call hubs now which are really switches.  A real old style
hub takes the input packet and blasts it out on all ports.  I put that
between the target machine and the router and then plugged a linux
machine into the hub.

Running WireShark in promiscuous mode, let me watch traffic.
When I get home, I will post the model of the hub I was using,
maybe you can find one on ebay.  The old hub acts like a ethernet
tap, but they want way too much money for a real one of those.

Bob Styma
Phoenix, AZ