adding packages in f7 from dvd without internet

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Sep 21 21:39:27 UTC 2007

Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> Is it possible?
> I found documents for fc5 and fc6 but it seems that trying to translate to
> f7 I continue to receive the message:
>
> Impossible to retrieve information about software
>
> and pirut closes.
>
> What I did after installing from f7 i386 dvd:
>
> cd /etc/yum.repos.d
> changed these  in fedora.repo and fedora-updates.repo
> a) commented mirrorlist line
> b) inserted baseurl=file:////media/disk

Wouldn't you need to go one directory deeper as with
baseurl=file:////media/disk/Fedora/ or is the repodata out on the root
for the DVD?

I never installed from DVD directly as a repo. I usually move the rpms
to a location somewhere on disk and then run createrepo /dir/dir/dir
I make the local.repo file reflect the baseurl=file:///dir/dir/dir

Yum then works. I am not sure if pirut will have any problems using my
tried methods. I believe pirut could not find groups but did not crash.

> yum clean all
>
> Anything else?
>
> BTW: is it planned anything for f8 so that just in case one could
> add/remove/update packages offline in a more user friendly way?

I run what is to be Fedora 8. I do not see anything in the menus for
install from DVD. It sure would make things much easier for
non-networked installs.

--
Linux - because software problems should not cost money.

    -- Shlomi Fish