How do I migrate users to new Fedora installation?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Sep 21 22:05:55 UTC 2007

Knute Johnson wrote:
> I've finally gotten F7 to run on my computer and now I want to
> migrate my mailserver from the old computer running FC4 to the new
> one.  How do I move my users passwords and mail to the new computer?
> Is there a guide somewhere?  This must be a fairly common procedure.
>
> Thanks,

I am not sure about a guide - I never looked for one. One way to do
it is to grab the user section of passwd, shadow, group, and
gshadow. Then merge them into the corresponding files one the new
system using vipw and vigr. Then, depending on the setup, tar up the
mail spool, and untar it on the new system. Do the same with the
/home tree if necessary. If you are using SELinux, you will have to
relabel the files after moving them. You will want to update passwd
before untaring the files from the other system.

This is not a complete description by any means, but hopefully it
will point you in the right direction, and others will jump in to
fill in the stuff I am forgetting!

Mikkel