OT: Use Thunderbird to pick up ROOT Mail?

Jacques B. jjrboucher at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 23:03:36 UTC 2007

On 9/21/07, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
> > So, think about doing this.....
>
> Ok, I've thought about it.
>
> > 1.  Create an email account of type "Unix Movemail" using your local
> > information.
>
> Umm, using Thunderbird? I've so far been unable to get
> it to work with multiple accounts.
>
> > 2.  Make the change in /root/.forward or /etc/aliases to point root's email
> > to your local mail store....it will end up in /var/mail/username.
>
> Yes, I'd use my regular user.
>
> > 3.  Create a message filter on the Inbox of that Movemail account to move
> > mails from that Inbox to whatever folder you want in your POP account's area
> > when email is fetched.
>
> So far, I've been unable to get filters to work automatically,
> but they do work on command. That I can probably get to work.
>
> Others have mentioned IMAP, which I also don't know how to
> configure.
>
> > Sorry for the confusion....
>
> No problem.
>
> Mike
> --

Mike, didn't my previous messages on this make the list?  I provided a
solution using Evolution followed by an apparent solution using
Thunderbird.  I've seen your replies to the others, but not mine so
either my messages aren't making the list or you've missed them.

The one correction to my suggestion would be using the mail forward
option rather than changing permissions or setting up a cron job to
copy root mail to another user.  I was not aware of that option until
it was mentioned in this thread.

Jacques B.