Network Install Not Working - yet another broken 3COM incident

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Sep 22 01:57:58 UTC 2007

Kip Thomas wrote:
> Hello Gurus:
>
> Something had changed since FC6 and F7; I am no longer able to do a
> networkinstall using a couple of 3COM cards.
>
> I was able to in prior releases using the same set of hardware.  I have a
> ThinkPad T21.  I used a couple of 3COM
> cards (3C589D, 3CXE589ET).  These are very standard cards included in the
> boot..iso images.
>
> When installing F7 and F8 Test 1, I'm presented with a screen to insert
> drivers.  The boot log said the PCMCIA card
> is detected.  I also recall loading the driver separately and got some sort
> of socket memory error.
>
> Any discussion appreciated.  Thanks

I can't help with your problem. I can let you know that I feel your
frustration since a 3COM card that I used from RHL 5.2 until the
breakage failed to work at some point. I changed the card but tried to
aid in the detection of the breakage for a long time.

Since the cards are changeable without much physical effort, I would get
a card other than the 3COM brand. It really is lousy that some cards get
broken and never repaired resulting to further development in the kernel.

Jim

--
Linux - because software problems should not cost money.

    -- Shlomi Fish