Re: OT: Use Thunderbird to pick up ROOT Mail?

On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 10:45 -0400, Jacques B. wrote:
> Your solutions are either to setup a root cron job that runs a script
> that copies the root mail file to a new name where a local user has
> priviledge to read it (I copied it over and then did a send/receive
> and got all of root's mail).  Or you could create a new group and add
> your unpriviledged user to it and then change ownership/priviledge on
> the root mail file to allow that group to be able to read it.

I haven't seen anybody mention the easy way:  Read your /etc/aliases
file, and put your username down the bottom where it gives you the
example of how to direct mail from root to another user, then run the
newaliases command that it tells you about at the top of that file.

e.g. root: mike

Or you can do it as
  root: Mike McCarty sbcglobal net
if your SMTP server sends with a real domain name.

--
[tim bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.5-76.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.