OT: Use Thunderbird to pick up ROOT Mail?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Sep 22 04:34:47 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 10:42 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Another advantage of IMAP is that it avoids any conversion/copying
> issues when changing email clients - any IMAP compatible client will
> see the same messages stored on the server even if you connect
> different ones at the same time.

Yes, and no...  It is helpful when you use multiple clients.

But some different clients do arrange folders in odd ways, so you end up
with multiple trash folders, multiple sent folders (sent, Sent, SENT),
etc.

And I've found using two clients at the same time can be a disaster
(read mail is still marked unread, moved mail stays where it came from
and is duplicated in the moved-to location, etc.).  It depends on when
they do their syncing (when they exit, based on their own status,
ignoring changes to the server, or each time a message status changes).

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.5-76.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.