Resetting to default gnome setup

Colin Paul Adams colin at colina.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 22 16:54:31 UTC 2007

    Tim> On Sat, 2007-09-22 at 08:52 +0100, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
    >> My GNOME desktop, panels, menus etc. are in a real mess.
    >>
    >> What I would like to do is get back to a new user's layout. Is
    >> there any easy way to do this?  If not, what is the difficult
    >> way?

    Tim> You probably want to look through your ~/.gconf* and
    Tim> ~/.gnome* directories.

    Tim> Log out, and then log in to a text-only console rather than
    Tim> graphically.  Now you can work on them without fighting
    Tim> against Gnome.  e.g. rename the parent directories, and then
    Tim> log in again, as a brute force method.

Thanks Tim.
I deleted them all as I don't use Evolution, and wasn't really
concerned about any other settings.

Now it all seems quite reasonable EXCEPT As well as Icons for
Computer, Wastebasket and colin's Home on the desktop, I have an icon
for every file and directory in my home directory (except for hidden
ones).

Is this supposed to happen? I want to turn it off if I can.
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire