using USB scanner

I'm totally new to using a scanner with linux, and it's giving me a hassle. Btw, this is on F7 (OS stuff is stock), using gnome, Xsane .994, and an Acerscan 310U.

I fire up Xsane and scan a document - works fine. Then, I try another scan, the scanner makes a weird noise, and I get an error from Xsane:
Failed to start scanner: error during device I/O.

I have to quit Xsane _and_ toggle the scanner's power to get it to rescan. Xsane isn't listed in the Config editor.

Does anyone have a clue what's going on?