Resetting to default gnome setup

Colin Paul Adams colin at colina.demon.co.uk
Sun Sep 23 08:01:45 UTC 2007

    >> Now it all seems quite reasonable EXCEPT As well as Icons for
    >> Computer, Wastebasket and colin's Home on the desktop, I have
    >> an icon for every file and directory in my home directory
    >> (except for hidden ones).

    Tim> There's an option to use your homespace directory as the
    Tim> desktop, rather than the ~/Desktop directory.  You want to
    Tim> re-enable the usual use of that Desktop directory.

    Tim> I have a "gTweakUI - Nautilus" thing in my preferences that
    Tim> lets me directly affect these things.  It was an extra that I
    Tim> installed, so I didn't have to trawl through the tangled mess
    Tim> of the gconf-editor

    Tim> You could try: yum install gtweakui-nautilus

I just get "Nothing to do" if I try that.

    Tim> Alternatively run gconf-editor (yum install it if you don't
    Tim> have it), and work your way into its
    Tim> apps/nautilus/preferences, and untick the desktop_is_home_dir
    Tim> key.

Strange. It wasn't ticked, yet it was shown as ticked.

I tried toggling this option, and the show desktop option a few times.
Nothing seemed to happen, but now it isn't showing the desktop at all
(which is an improvement). I can't turn the desktop back on though.

Something is definitely dodgy.

But I'd rather leave it off than have it as it was before, so thanks
for the help.
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire