F7 sound not detected on swapping USB hard disk

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Sep 23 15:42:59 UTC 2007

antonio montagnani wrote:
> After sound detection ny modprobe.conf file has been modified to:
>
> remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ;
> }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
I would remove this line, and re-run sound detection. It will not
fix your problem, but this line is supposed to store the mixer
settings when your sound card module is removed. I believe this is
for your old sound card, and one should be created for your new
sound card.

> alias eth0 tg3
>
> options snd cards_limit=8
> alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
> options snd-hda-intel index=0
> alias snd-card-7 snd-usb-audio
> options snd-usb-audio index=7

I am not sure why your USB sound device is set to be the 8th sound
card, but that should not cause a problem. What may be causing a
problem is that the snd-hda-intel module can have many
configurations depending on your hardware. You may need to do some
searching for the correct options. You may need to specify the model
or model=auto in the options line.

Also, check your mixer settings - you may have sound, but one or
more of the controls may be set too low for you to hear it. I use
the snd-intel-hda on my laptop, and if I do not specify the model, I
do not get all of the mixer controls, and the sound ends up being
very quiet. I end up missing some of the controls. With the correct
controls, I can set things the levels properly.

In an ideal would, the Linux settings would be provided with the
laptop, as are the windows settings. (This is why the sound drivers
for Windows tend to be laptop specific.) Once you find the settings
that work for your laptop, you may want to let the ALSA developers
know, so hte next person will not have to fight with it.

Mikkel