How best get rid of SELinux?

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Sun Sep 23 16:11:53 UTC 2007

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 01:11:49 -0500, Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> It takes less that a minute to find out 'man chcon'' :
> http://linux.die.net/man/1/chcon
>
> u -> user
> r -> role
> t -> type
>
> Manual modification of the security contexts aren't really expected of
> most people.

	With all due respect (which, yes, I know to be vast), the passage
above is almost a parade example of the problem. Only the last sentence
conveys any meaning whatever to me.

	Item : I have reset SELinux on the testbed machine to permissive,
just to be able to c&p error messages (another item). After all my years
of running linux, I can neither guess where chcon came into this, nor
make head or tail of what I see when some guru tells me (no matter how
politely) to Read The Fine Manual -- not even when I already have.

	The manual is written for the pros; it enables someone who has
already mastered the topic of any page to check on any disremembered
details. But its very succinctness (which the presumption of mastery
affords) is as a cast iron wall to the uninitiated. Every line assumes
not just mastery of its own topic, but of a thousand *other* man pages.

	Anyone uninitiated, confronted with almost any man page, either
feels like the protagonist of Kafka's Trial, or doesn't see the problem.

	I doubt I can make sense of 1/79 of the man pages I read -- and
even those are only the ones for things I've managed to do over and over,
like scp.

	Item: I remembered in the night where I've been seeing
admonitions to reboot so often -- in the most frequent error message
(most frequent here, anyway) from the troubleshooter. It tells me to
touch something *and* *reboot*.

	More on this subthread in another post.