How best get rid of SELinux?

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Sun Sep 23 20:28:56 UTC 2007

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 14:56:17 -0400, David Boles wrote:

> I can understand your problems. And everyone told you correctly that
> disabled really does mean that. Several mentioned something about
> 'disabled' that I have not seen you address. SELinux in not like a lamp.
> On (enabled/enforcing) and Permissive (enabled/reports only) keep the
> SELinux 'system' active and 'up to date' with the permissions. Disables
> (off) does not. So turning it off for a time and then turning it back on
> will most likely cause problems, from what I understand.

	Hmmm ... So if I disable it, I better leave it disabled till the
next release of Fedora?

> Everyone here seems to be in a the panic mode. If left alone, as I have
> done, SELinux just runs merrily along.

	That's where your experience differs from mine. Maybe I shouldn't
have installed the troubleshooter??

> I do not have any third party
> packages installed. I don't try to watch videos that require Windows
> codecs. No fancy rotating cube desktops. No Windows games run in Linux.
> No third party compiled video drivers. Nothing special.

	Third party packages here are Pine and Opera -- unless you also
count things yum can get from livna; then there might be others. But
certainly none of the rest of that stuff.

> Linux is about choice. You don't want to use it? Turn it off by all
> means.
>
> BTW - You mentioned having problems with man pages. The site where this
> script came from is down for some reason but I have, from there, a
> script that will make a text file of man pages. Load in your favorite
> editor. Search. Scroll back and forth. Do your thing. --

	Confession time : I follow this list, insofar as I can, only by
using Gmane. 90% of it is way over my head (or concerned with things like
games that are irrelevant to me), and if it weren't for Pan and Gmane, I
wouldn't have a prayer of coping.

	But Gmane, unfortunately, eliminates attachments. Or maybe the
list itself does. I see neither any script nor any URL here. If you don't
mind sending it again direct, the address above, at swva.net, is valid.
TIA!